Anti Aging Program: Optimal Nutrition for Baby Boomers
IV. Natural Hormone Enhancement
Could an?anti aging program be what you need to encourage and increase your health??One of the most important anti-aging hormones is growth hormone. For some reason yet to be discovered, growth hormone release falls off after we turn 25 years old, dropping at a rate of 10%- 15% every decade thereafter. The aging process begins and adherence to an anti aging program becomes essential.
Only 1 out of every 10,000 (0.01%) people carries the longevity gene in his or her chromosome. These fortunate few have a 20 year longer lifespan than the rest of population. They will become centenarians (live to 100) regardless of their lifestyle, generally speaking. The remaining 99.99% of us have to deal with the deterioration of our bodies as a result of declining hormonal health as we age.
Changes from the diminished output of growth hormone start to become visible as early as your 35th birthday. By age 45, the wrinkles are making their mark and the skin is noticeably thinner along with the hair, which is also getting more gray. The nails are brittle, the muscles are weak, the breath is short, and the libido, what’s that? The prostate hypertrophies and the trips to the bathroom at night increase. ?At this time in your life, many may wonder if an anti aging program would be or would have been helpful.
The quick way to reverse the downward slide is by human growth hormone injections. However, injections must be monitored by a physician. As with any hormone, growth hormone can be fatal if administered without the proper precautions.
Is there a natural way of replacing our growth hormone? Many naturally oriented physicians practicing anti-aging medicine believe so. It is done not by replacing the hormone, but by stimulating your very own pituitary gland to naturally increase the release of hGH. Substances which stimulate the pituitary gland in this manner are called secretagogues. Secretagogues are all natural and side effects are rare. The results, while not as dramatic as injections, have been very encouraging. Replenishment of growth hormone from a deficient state can lead to improved sex life, skin tone, and help to balance other hormones in the body including testosterone, DHEA, melatonin, pregnenolone, and progesterone.
V. Optimal Anti-Aging Supplementation
The American diet is deficient in many essential nutrients, leading ultimate to premature death that results from degenerative diseases.
Even if we follow a healthy diet, our way of farming has depleted the soil of many essential minerals. Furthermore, contemporary farming technology has yielded nicer looking produce by using pesticides, herbicides, artificial soils and genetic manipulation. But this is accomplished at the cost of nutrition. When we add the effects of environmental pollution, and the use of refined sugar, high fat (especially trans-fat), high simple sugars, and high salt in our fast-food and manufactured products, our need for proper supplementation is magnified. To get the amount of minerals, vitamins, and phytochemicals necessary for anti-aging effects, we often need to increase our food intake by 4 to 10 times. For example, a 5,000 calorie diet is needed just to obtain 400 I.U. of Vitamin E. Diet alone is therefore not a tool we can rely on solely for our body to receive optimum nutrients.
For this reason, supplementation is a cornerstone and key pillar of an effective anti-aging program.
There is no single “magic bullet ” supplement that can reverse aging. However, we do know that combining supplements in a “cocktail” type formulation may be the best as the supplements such as vitamins, minerals, herbs, nutritional factors, enzymes, and antioxidants work synergistically with each other.
Things to Look for in a Supplement Focused on Anti-Aging
- It should be customized for your age, sex, body rhythm, and optimum intake to aggressively deter the three phases of aging.
- It should help to reverse or rejuvenate the aged body in a mild manner, optimize organ function, and lower homocysteine, a major factor in heart disease and Alzheimer’s disease.
- It should contain antioxidants to help prevent uncontrolled mutation, and to combat the free radicals directly linked to the deterioration of the immune system and cancer, fatigue and weakness of muscles. It also contains compounds that maintain the proper functioning of the kidneys, pancreas, bladder and liver and stimulate the release of natural growth hormone and help to prevent catabolism.
- It should contain all the elements needed to help cellular and biological immune function with inflammation suppression. These elements also prevent the depletion of hormone such as testosterone, which is very important for sexual function and libido both in men and women.
- It should contain properties that act as metabolic and endocrine/hormonal balancers. This helps to control weight. It should specifically deal with problems associated with blood sugar levels, carbohydrate craving, bloating, and excessive gas production.
- It should have properties to aid stress reduction and act as a mood balancer.
- It should help to enhance sexual function. A formulation for men should have protection against prostate hypertrophy and cancer. The women’s formulation should help balance the hormonal system from pre to peri to post menopausal state. It should also contain antioxidants in the optimum amount to fight cellular mutation that leads to cancer.
- It should have ingredients designed to help moisturize the skin, bring back the luster of hair, promote healthy strong nails, and strengthen the bones.
- Because many nutrients are water soluble and quickly excreted from the body, supplements that are in time-release form is preferred. To maintain the optimum blood level in our body, supplements should be taken twice a day – once in the morning with breakfast and once in the evening with dinner.
- It should be as natural as possible and manufactured in an FDA licensed facility in accordance to GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice) guidelines.
How to Get Started on an Anti Aging Program
Starting an anti-aging program begins with an evaluation of your current health and lifestyle needs. This can be done through an office visit with a physician specializing in anti-aging medicine. The typical consultation should include a complete history and physical examination in an effort to desgin an anti aging program that is best for you. A qualified anti-aging physician will spend considerable time answering questions and explaining to you the science part behind an anti-aging program. It is important for you to understand exactly what you should do, how you should do it, and what you should expect after you embark on the program.
There are actually 5 areas to a successful anti-aging program. These 5 areas practiced together can unquestionably help us baby boomers fulfill our passion to defy the effects of time.
When you consult with an anti-aging specialist to organize an anti aging program, it is important for you to take the opportunity to ask as many questions as possible. This is especially critical as it relates to hormone enhancement and supplements due to the tremendous confusion among the public. Find out from your physician what is scientifically researched based and what is not. Embarking on an anti-aging program often involves a change of lifestyle. Those who are successful are usually well informed and are realistic in their goals.
Depending on your current state of heath, additional laboratory tests may be needed. A complete anti-aging work-up can cost thousands of dollars.
If you are in relatively good health and wish to embark on an anti-aging program without going through extensive testing, a good starting point is to practice the 5 pillars of anti-aging on your own.
Read Part 1 Now!
© Copyright 2013 Michael Lam, M.D. All Rights Reserved.
Not a question, but a thank you. I followed all your advice on adrenal fatigue brought on from excessive large doses of steroids for asthma. You advised that it would take time and it did…two and a half years. I thought I would never be better and felt old. At last with patience, your diet advice, yoga, and a lot of rest, I am finally back to myself. Every day I am thankful just doing normal things. THANK YOU!