Baked Stuffed Pumpkin Bowl
Pumpkins are rich in carotenoids that give the gourd their bright orange color, which the body converts to vitamin A that aids vision, particularly in dim light. The carotenoids rich pumpkin can also help keep the skin wrinkle-free.
- Pumpkin (wt 3-4 lbs)
- 2 tbsp olive or coconut oil
- 2 leeks, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground tumeric
- ? cup cooked long-grain rice
- 2 tomatoes, seeded, roughly chopped
- ? cup cashew nuts, roasted and roughly chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pumpkin preparation:
- Cut 2-in slice from the stem of the pumpkin to use it as a lid when baking.
- Scoop out the seeds and discard.
- Cut out the rest of the pumpkin flesh with the help of a knife and spoon, leaving a thin shell.
- Cut the pumpkin flesh into small pieces to be used later.
- Preheat oven to 350?F (180?C).
- In a large frying pan, add Ingredients B. Stir-fry 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Add in Pumpkin flesh from 1D above. Cook another 10 minutes. Stir frequently to prevent sticking.
- Gently mix in Ingredients C.
- Spoon the stuffing pumpkin mixture into the pumpkin shell. Top with the lid.
- Cook in the oven for 1 ? – 1 ? hours, until the pumpkin is softened or the skin turned brown.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Cut into wedges to serve.
? Copyright 2014 Michael Lam, M.D. All Rights Reserved.