Blackeyed Pea and Kale Soup
The legume family is a good source of protein that is low in fat. Adding kale to the recipe increase the nutrients that are good for the body.
- 1 lb dried Blackeyed Pea, washed.
- 28 fluid oz. canned diced Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- Stir-fry together:
- 1 large yellow onion, diced.
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1/2 tsp crushed chili pepper
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Last to add:
- 1/2 lbs Kale, cut to 2 inches slices
- Mushroom seasoning to taste
- Garnish (optional):
- Sour cream
- Green Onion, chopped.
- Fill pot with water covering the blackeyed peas by two inches. Cover.
- Bring to boil for 2 minutes. Turn off heat and let stand for at least one hour.
- Discard water.
- Combine all ingredients in a pressure cooker. Add 4 cups of water. Cook for 20 minutes after water is at a boiling point.
- Once the pressure cooker has cooled down, add the kale and cook for another 40 minutes, or until all ingredients are tender.
- Add mushroom seasoning at the end to taste.
- This is a thick soup. You can add more water to the consistency you like. Add more seasoning if you want to thin the soup.
- When ready to serve, garnish with sour cream and green onions or serve as is.
? Copyright 2013 Michael Lam, M.D. All Rights Reserved.