75 Signs, Symptoms, and Alerts of Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome
Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome can present itself in association with any of the following signs, symptoms, or conditions. Because there is no definitive laboratory test for this potentially debilitation condition, always be the alert if you have any significantly number of the following.
Not everyone has all of the symptoms or conditions listed below. The number varies from person to person, but if you take a step back and look from afar, they collectively paint a picture of a body under threat. The higher the prevalence or intensity of the items listed below, the higher the chances that you may have Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome.
Characteristic Adrenal Fatigue Symptoms
- Unable to fall asleep despite being tired
- Wake up in the middle of the night for no reason
- Heart palpitations at night or when stressed
- Low Blood pressure consistently
- Low libido and lack of sex drive
- Low thyroid function, often despite thyroid medications
- Feeling of hypoglycemia though laboratory values are normal
- Depression, often unresolved after anti-depressant
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
- Uterine fibroids
- Fibrocystic breast disease
- Hair falling off for no reason
- Irritable under stress
- Panic attacks
- Feeling “wired” and unable to relax
- Feeling of adrenaline rushes in the body
- Fogging thinking
- Inability to handle stress
- Waking up feeling tired in the morning after night’s sleep
- Feeling tired in the afternoon between 3:00 and 5:00 pm
- Inability to take in simple carbohydrate
- Coffee needed to get going in the morning and throughout the day
- Coffee, tea or energy drinks triggering adrenaline rush and adrenal crashes
- Feeling tired between 9:00 and 10:00 PM, but resists going to bed
- Craving for fatty food and food high in protein
- Craving for salty food such as potato chips
- Dry skin more than usual
- Unexplained hair loss that is diffuse
- Exercise helps first, but then makes fatigue worse
- Chemical sensitivities to paint, fingernail polish, plastics
- Electromagnetic force sensitivity, including cell phone and computer monitors
- Delay food sensitivity, especially to diary and gluten
- Unable to get pregnant, requiring IVF
- Post partum fatigue and depression
- Recurrent miscarriages during first trimester
- Abdominal fat accumulation for no apparent reason
- Temperature intolerance, especially to heat or sunlight
- Dysmenorrhea advancing to amenorrhea
- Premature Menopause
- Constipation for no apparent reason
- Joint pain of unknown origin
- Muscle mass loss
- Muscle pain of unknown reason
- Cold hands and feet
- Premature aging skin
- Inability to concentrate or focus
- Psoriasis of no known reason
- Gastritis despite normal gastroscopy
- Low back pain with no history of trauma and normal examination
- Dizziness for no known cause
- Fructose mal-absorption
- Tinnitus (ringing in the ear) chronically
- Numbness and tingling in extremities bilaterally
- Mouth sores recurrent
- Short of breath even though breathing is fine
- Ovarian cyst
- Breast cancer associated with estrogen dominance
- Grave’s disease
- Hashimoto’s thyroiditis
- Legs that feel heavy at times
- Dark Circle under eyes that does not go away with rest
- Loss of healthy facial skin tone color
- Body feel tense all over and unable to relax
- Postural orthostatic tachycardia
- Irritable Bowl Syndrome, with more constipation then diarrhea
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome unimproved with medicine
- Fibromyalgia unresolved after conventional help
- Systemic Candida that gets worse when under stress
- Electrolyte imbalance despite normal laboratory values
- Irregular Menstrual Cycle that “stops and go”
- Lyme Disease but unable to fully recover after medication or intolerance to drugs
- H Pylori Infection in the past and was told resolved but never feel the same since
- Heavy metal and mineral toxicity may mimic Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome
This list is not intended of you to self diagnose Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome. If you think you may have Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome, the first task is to get more educated. Because of the rather convoluted and complex nature of this syndrome, always consult a qualified health professional prior embarking on any recovery plan. Most recovery programs fail and the condition may worsen if you lack a clear understanding and what lies ahead.
© Copyright 2012 Michael Lam, M.D. All Rights Reserved.
What is Adrenal Fatigue?
Adrenal Fatigue is a state of sub-optimal health applied to a collection of non-specific symptoms such as weakness and low energy that is hard to explain. Most forms of Adrenal Fatigue are mild, with full recovery after rest, and therefore they will go undetected. If the condition is left to natural progression and the stressors continue to persist, Adrenal Fatigue may worsen. Advanced Adrenal Fatigue can be incapacitating. Physical or emotional stress (such as toxic relationships) plays a big role in this condition.
What does Adrenal Fatigue feel like?
Feeling of adrenaline rushes in the body, brain fog, inability to handle stress, waking up feeling tired in the morning after a full night’s sleep, feeling tired in the afternoon between 3:00 pm and 5:00 pm, inability to take in simple carbohydrate, feeling tired between 9:00 and 10:00 PM, but resists going to bed, craving for fatty and high-protein foods, craving for salty food such as potato chips, dry skin more than usual, unexplained hair loss that is diffuse, meaning it is spread across the entire scalp.
How do Pranayama and Adrenal breathing exercise compare with one another ?
They are very similar, with ABE, you should not go over 80% of lung capacity and you don’t want to hold your breath. The key is calming.
When having Adrenal Fatigue are being sensitive to, wheat and dairy considered to be a symptom?
Wheat and diary sensitiivtye often accompanies AFS for a wide variety of reasons. First they can be hard to digest and assimilate for those who are already weak as the body slows down in a compensatory response to stress in order to conserve energy. Excessive metabolite cumlation due to slow assimiaiton cause inflammation and that sets up a vicous cycle to further slowing of the gut, exacerbating the sensitivities.
How can herbs play a role in treating Adrenal fatigue?
If you have early stages of Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome, taking some adaptogen herbs may help you deal with stress better. You may want to read my articles: 7 Adrenal Recovery Mistakes and Adrenal_Fatigue_Glandular_and_Herbal_Therapy.asp>Adrenal Fatigue Glandular and Herbal Therapy
What is the difference between regular wheat and sprouted wheat and how they affect the adrenals?
Sprouted wheat actually removed the enzymes inhibitor which prevents the nutrients in the grain from absorption. For those who are sensitive , this type is less traumatic to the gut.
How much toxins are being pulled out by doing something like the oil pulling? Its a gentle oral detox does it remove enough toxins?
Oil Pulling has been practiced in India for 5000 years. It may remove only toxins localize in the mouth area.
Muscle aches and pains are common with detox. Is it a lack of nutrients or the subtraction of toxins that gives people muscle aches in early stages of detox?
The pain maybe due to inflammation, which maybe a retoxification reaction. Read my article on Retoxification and AFS.
Can having severe food allergies as a child cause adrenal fatigue symptoms as an adult?
It is possible because the body is constantly in a flight and fight mode when you have allergies.
I am bedridden and am diagnosed w/ MRSA. Is there a connection w/ the adrenals? If so, what should be the first steps I should take to avoid having to again get treated with antibiotics?
Whenever you have infection, it weakens the body’s immune system, causing more stress to the body. Read my article on Stealh Infection and AFS.
Why is it that client with low cortisol levels tend to have nightmares? What is the correlation between dreams and cortisol?
Low cortisol may not may not be associated with nightmare. More often it is associated with insomnia.
Why shouldn’t I take vitamin C later in the afternoon or in the evening?
For some people with AFS, vitamin C could be stimulating and causing sleepless nights.
Do vaccines have any affect on the adrenals? Does it cause any harm to them?
Some studies has shown that vaccination causes immune dysregulation. When anything is changed in your body, the adrenals are affected because of the stress.
Electromagnetic forces are increasingly becoming a factor in overall well-being. How harmful can EMF be to the body and does EMF start to build up over time to the point where it can start to pollute our surrounding unseen environment?
Read my article on electromagnetic fields and Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome.
There are so many different detox mechanisms. What is the difference between the following: charcoal wraps Matrifix Patch, C-Patch,
They all contain the active ingredient for detox: activated charcoal.
How would a woman increase her libido?
If a woman’s reproductive hormones are balanced, there should be no issues with her libido. Read my article: https://www.drlam.com/blog/signs-symptoms-low-libido/17686/
Does distilled water remove minerals from your body?
Yes. Long term use is not recommended, but it dose have its palce for short term use and selected case.s.
Is it true that too much Vitamin C can cause canker sores? If so, why?
There is no study to show this, but we do notice that for people who have a “Heaty” type body as defined by traditional Chinese medicine (TCM), this tends to occur more freuqently.
At this point I am so encouraged that you have set up a forum through which those of us with adrenal fatigue can find hope through answered questions about the dynamics of healing. For one, it is such a comfort that you have stated up front that healing can be plotted along a Recovery Curve with multiple mini cycles in between. So, thanks again.