Curried Butternut Squash with Apple Soup
Butternut squash is rich in phytonutrients and antioxidants. The yellow orange color signals an abundance of carotenoids, shown to protect against heart disease. This soup is also rich in Vitamin C which is needed to repair the Adrenal Glands.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp grape seed oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 2 medium apples (don’t use tart apples)– cubed
- 5 cups butternut squash – cubed
- 1/2 tsp crushed red chili
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- In a large pot, stir fry together onion, oil, butter, and curry powder over medium heat. Stir occasionally until onion is soft.
- Add in apples, butternut squash, chili, salt, pepper and water.
- Bring to a boil, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Transfer the soup to a blender (Vitamix) and add pine nuts. Blend until smooth.
- Serve hot.
© Copyright 2013 Michael Lam, M.D. All Rights Reserved.