Pearl Barley Risotto
Barley Beta glucan has been shown to lower glycemic index, better sugar control and significantly reduce insulin response.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 ½ cup pearl barley
- 3 leeks, thinly sliced
- ½ cup cooking wine
- 2 cups water
- Salt and Pepper
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 lbs asparagus, cut into 2-in pieces
- ¼ cup fresh mint, finely chopped
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Cook Ingredients A in a large frying pan, stir until starting to soften, 5-7 minutes.
- Add wine and stir till evaporated, around 5 minutes.
- Add water, salt and pepper, bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until liquid is absorbed, around 10 minutes.
- Add Vegetable stock, cook in medium heat until barley is almost tender, around 10 minutes.
- Add Ingredients C, cook until tender and liquid is all gone. Around 5 minutes.
- Stir in Ingredients D.
- Serve barley risotto hot.
© Copyright 2015 Michael Lam, M.D. All Rights Reserved.