Poached Egg on Spinach and Mushroom
The combination of this recipe provides high quality protein from the eggs, and plenty of phytonutrients from the onions and spinach. What a good way to start your day.
- 4 medium-sized portabella mushrooms
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4 slice large onion rings
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups baby spinach leaves
- 2 tsp pesto
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Arrange mushroom (bottom side up) in a small roasting tin, divide the butter equally on top of each mushroom. Roast in over for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Turned off heat. Drain the liquids to a frying pan. Keep the mushroom covered and keep warm in the oven.
- In a medium size frying pan, add 1-inch water, bring to boil.
- Add in one onion ring; break an egg inside the ring. Repeat 3 more times. Turn off heat and let the eggs sit in the hot water and cook 6 more minutes.
- Heat up the mushroom liquids, add the spinach, stir-fry for about 30 seconds until the spinach is beginning to wilt.
- Place the mushrooms on warmed plate. Top each with some spinach, one onion ring, a poached egg and ½ tsp of pesto.
- Serve with Ezekiel or Rye toast.
© Copyright 2014 Michael Lam, M.D. All Rights Reserved.