Dairy-Free Coconut Almond Ice Cream Recipe
Always on the lookout for the next delicious and healthy dessert recipe? Look no further. It can be difficult to sift through what is only marketed as healthy and what is truly good for you. This recipe uses natural ingredients you can source yourself to ensure they are organic and healthy, and it lets you avoid commercially processed foods. Not only does it taste better, but it puts your mind at ease. This almond ice cream recipe also has numerous health benefits.
The Benefits of Homemade Almond Ice Cream
This almond ice cream recipe is a great example of a dietary replacement that keeps flavor in mind. Eating healthy doesn’t only affect how you feel, it also has implications for your entire life.
In modern society, so many people are continually fatigued and stressed that eventually illnesses result. A common condition that develops for many is what’s called Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome (AFS). This is not always avoidable, but there are many ways to help with recovery from AFS.
To see how helpful almond ice cream can be, you need to know a little about AFS and the adrenal glands. This process works through the NeuroEndoMetabolic (NEM) Stress Response, which is how our minds and bodies process stress. It starts in the brain and transforms into a hormonal response that affects many different areas. The important thing to know is that the adrenal glands are the main workhorse of the NEM Stress Response, responsible for producing and releasing a vital hormone known as cortisol.
Cortisol relates to this almond ice cream recipe because it raises blood sugar. Adrenal fatigue research has shown that high blood sugar levels tend to suppress healthy nutrient uptake and cause irregularities in mood and energy. Though all sugars have a similar effect on the body, processed and refined sugars cause the biggest problems. The coconut sugar suggested in this recipe will help your blood sugar levels stay even to help you feel balanced and energetic.
Make sure to consider any allergies or sensitivities you have before implementing nutritional changes.
Switching to a healthy diet is a wonderful way to increase your well-being. It can help everything from AFS to giving you more everyday energy. Who says it can’t be delicious too?
Almond Ice Cream Recipe
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1 ¾ cup coconut milk
- 3 ? tbsp cacao butter
- 2 tbsp coffee grounds
- ½ cup coconut sugar, divided into two ¼ cup portions
- 2 vanilla pods
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp bitter almond extract
- When using an ice-cream maker for this recipe, take care to adhere to the manufacturer’s specifications regarding the freezing of the bowl. If you don’t have an ice-cream maker, ignore this step.
- In a medium sized pan, add coconut cream, coconut milk, cacao butter, coffee grounds, and ¼ cup coconut sugar.
- Take the vanilla pods and slice them lengthwise, then remove the seeds and put them into the pan with the coconut mixture. Note that if you want more flavor from the vanilla, you can add the pods as well.
- Using low heat, mix everything in the pan with careful attention and allow it to bubble just a bit. Be careful not to let it boil because as soon as it bubbles you need to remove it from the heat and let it cool. Let it sit until it’s cool, approximately 40 minutes to an hour.
- While the mixture is cooling, take a medium bowl and add egg yolks, bitter almond extract, and the remaining ¼ cup of coconut sugar. Mix with an electric or hand mixer until the consistency is fairly thick and the mixture takes on a pale hue.
- Once the pan has cooled, remove the vanilla pods and squeeze them to get out extra flavor. Combine one cup of the coconut mixture from the pan, pouring it into the bowl with the egg mixture. Mix these together by hand and set aside.
- Reheat the mixture remaining on the stove until it comes to a boil, stirring continuously. Once it has reached a boil, remove it from heat and add the egg and sugar mixture into it.
- Once everything is mixed, return the pan to low heat and stir with a wooden spoon until it forms tiny bubbles on the surface or reaches 170 degrees. (Do not let it boil or it will curdle!) This process shouldn’t take longer than about ten minutes. Immediately remove from heat.
- Pour the custard into a clean bowl, and put it directly into the freezer to cool for approximately fifteen minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent a layer from forming on top of the custard.
- If you don’t have an ice cream mixer for churning the ice cream, the easiest method is to remove the mixture from the freezer every 45 minutes and churn with a normal mixer. Repeat this process for about 4 hours, and then you should be ready to serve this delicious dessert.
© Copyright 2017 Michael Lam, M.D. All Rights Reserved.
Dr. Lam’s Key Question
Can I replace items in this almond ice cream recipe?
The beauty of making things at home such as this almond ice cream recipe is that you can make changes for taste and allergies. Just keep in mind that some substitutions may also require that you change the process for preparation so that you arrive at the results you’re looking for.