Hair Health Tips to Reduce Everyday Damage to Your Hair
Are you dealing with issues like baldness, dandruff, or dry damaged hair? Hair care is an important part of our overall health and well being. Many hair issues can be linked to health problems such as stress, medication side effects, hormonal imbalances, thyroid function, and even diet. Improving your diet, regulating stress, and improving your blood circulation to your scalp can increase hair quality and may even prevent hair loss. Here are some natural hair health tips.
Hair Health Tips And Remedies
There are many different hair health tips and tricks you can do to have naturally healthy hair and to help prevent hair loss. The several below have been proven effective:
- Massaging Scalp: Massaging your scalp helps increase blood flow and better circulation to the scalp. You can massage your scalp without any products, or you can also try to massage it with Vitamin E oil or aloe vera gel.
- Increasing Amino Acids: Amino acids are great for structural support and help with collagen and keratin production. If you have adrenal fatigue, these can worsen. Care is advised.
- Staying Hydrated: Water does several things. It helps to remove the toxins from your body and improve hair quality. It also helps to strengthen hair and keep it from being dry and brittle. Essentially, good hydration will keep the hair moisturized from the inside out.
- Antioxidants: Overall, antioxidants are great for your body. They boost your immune system and reduce free radicals. You can incorporate antioxidants by eating or drinking things that contain high levels of them, such as green tea. Antioxidants help prevent hair loss. Steep a few green tea bags and apply that tea to your hair. Leave it in your hair for 30 minutes; then wash. Those with AFS should use decaffeinated green tea as many cannot tolerate the stimulating effects.
- Reducing Red Meat: A diet high in red meat can affect your hair as well. If you are eating red meat daily, it increases sebum production in your scalp. Excess sebum is linked to oxygen and nutrient reduction. These are necessary to the growing follicles. Without them, hair damage or hair loss is caused.
- Taking Omega 3s: Another great health hair tip is to start taking in omega 3s. Omega 3s have a lot of nutritional value. They reduce inflammation and increase brain power. You can take supplements or get omega 3s from foods like fish, eggs, or flaxseeds. The anti-inflammatory properties of Omega 3s can promote health and reduce hair loss by opening up follicles. Keep in mind, it?s always important to talk to a nutritionist before doing any type of dietary supplementation.
- Aloe Vera Shampoo or Gel: Aloe vera is really great for reducing plaque and dandruff buildup in your hair. It breaks down the plaque on your scalp. Plaque is a big cause of thinning hair and brittle hair. You can look for shampoos that contain aloe vera or massage aloe vera gel into your scalp. Rinse and then wash your hair normally.
- Coconut Milk: Coconut milk is a great way to nourish your scalp and your hair. It helps reduce dry damaged hair and hair loss. It hydrates. Massage it into your hair and scalp for great results. Rinse your hair after.
- Vitamin E: Vitamin E is a crucial vitamin for your hair, skin, and nails. It?s a great idea to supplement it into your diet. Also, massaging Vitamin E oil into your scalp and hair will enrich your hair and will help prevent plaque.
- Consume More Vitamin C and Iron: Vitamin C and Iron are essential for our overall health. Vitamin C and Iron, also will increase blood circulation to your scalp and provide your hair with great nutrients needed for full, beautiful hair. Eating fruits and vegetables that contain Vitamin C and Iron is a good way to get these nutrients. Citrus fruits and leafy green vegetables are great sources. However, note that Vit C supplements, in excess, can worsen adrenal fatigue.
- Thyroid Health: Thyroid issues, such as hypothyroidism, can lead to hair loss and thinning hair problems. Maintain a healthy diet to ensure a healthy thyroid. If you believe you have thyroid issues it?s important to consult your doctor for further help and care.
- Minoxidil: More commonly known by the brand name Rogaine is the only drug which is approved by the FDA to treat hair loss both in men and women. However, there have been reported unpleasant side effects of taking this drug. Read this article about Minoxidil side effects and 3 better natural alternatives.
Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome and Hair Health Tips
Adrenal fatigue syndrome (AFS) is a condition that occurs when your adrenal glands are overworked and tired. Your adrenal glands produce and store hormones for your body. The main cause of adrenal fatigue is stress. Stress makes your adrenal glands work hard. When they can?t keep up, it causes hormonal imbalances within your body. AFS has many signs and symptoms including energy reduction, depression, salt cravings, and even trouble sleeping. Adrenal fatigue syndrome can often cause unexplained hair loss.
There are also hypothyroid symptoms. We learned earlier that hypothyroidism can cause hair loss. Hypothyroidism is not the same as adrenal fatigue syndrome. However, adrenal fatigue can cause problems with your thyroid gland. Stress, thyroid problems, and poor diet all relate to your hair?s health. If you suffer from AFS it?s important to talk to a doctor who understands it. This doctor can help you to remedy the symptoms you may have. A better diet, taking care of your thyroid health, and reducing stress are good hair health tips. However, if your thyroid problems are due to AFS, keep in mind that hypothyroid medicine can actually worsen symptoms. This is why it is important to consult a professional who understands adrenal fatigue.
We know we should eat more fish than red meat, however, fish can contain toxins that could trigger AFS symptoms and other problems. Whether you eat fish or red meat, you really have to be aware of how it was processed and toxins it may contain. We know that less red meat is better for health, however, our bodies do need protein. You do not have to eliminate all red meat, but, like with fish, it is important to know how these meats are processed. Take the time to buy more organic food, and try to reduce the amount of processed foods you consume overall.
The NeuroEndoMetabolic Stress Response and Hair Health Tips
The NeuroEndo Metabolic (NEM) Stress Response system describes how the body reacts to different stressors and factors. This is a conventional model that explains how the the neuroendocrine system manages and reacts to stress and stressful situations. The NEM Stress Response also shows how the body?s systems and organs correlate to stressors. These stressors could be internal or external, physical or mental. We know that hair loss and hair thinning can be related to being under stress.
Your hair health can also be related to thyroid problems. If you reduce stress, and work toward thyroid health, it could reduce or stop hair loss. Keep in mind, AFS and hypothyroidism are two different things. You can have thyroid problems with AFS, but you should not treat your problems as hypothyroidism. Also, your adrenal glands help keep stress in check. When your body is in stress your adrenal glands release cortisol to help manage the stress. However, if your stress levels increase, your adrenals can not keep up, and adrenal fatigue syndrome results. Please talk to a specialist before trying to do any natural remedies or hair health tipsif you suffer from AFS. Some natural remedies could have side effects or even worsen symptoms. Proper diet is also important if you have adrenal fatigue. Talking to a specialist that can help you understand nutrition and diet, as it relates to AFS, is also important to overall health.
Final Thoughts on Hair Health Tips
You can try any type of hair care you would like to have better healthy hair, however, natural remedies will give you better results overall. Choosing a better diet with less red meat, more vitamins, such as iron, Vitamin E and C, and antioxidants can encourage healthier stronger hair and less hair loss. Reducing stress will help your AFS symptoms, as well as help you to improve your quality of hair. Stress, diet, and grooming can affect the health of your hair, so take care of you, and your hair will love you for it.
© Copyright 2017 Michael Lam, M.D. All Rights Reserved.
Dr. Lam’s Key Question
How does your thyroid affect your hair growth?
Your thyroid gland is responsible for produces hormones. When your thyroid is not working properly there is a hormonal imbalance. This hormonal balance can cause hair loss.