Tips in Creating a Personalized Hypoglycemia Meal Plan
Sub-clinical hypoglycemia secondary to Adrenal Fatigue requires a systematic and comprehensive approach to be prevent and reverse the adrenal gland symptoms due to its chronic nature. Getting proper nutrition is also essential. Researching and creating a personalized hypoglycemia meal plan does not have to be difficult due to the number of options available. Here are some especially relevant tips from creating a hypoglycemia meal plan.
Tips to Creating A Hypoglycemia Meal Plan
- Consume protein (such as nuts, meat, beans, cottage cheese, whole milk yogurt) and fat (nut, extra virgin olive oil, coconut, whole milk yogurt, avocado) with each meal or snack. This will lead to slower release of sugar in the body and thus extend the time you become hypoglycemic between meals.
- Take frequent meals in addition to snacks. Avoid taking only 3 set meals a day as well as snacks. Take breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but equally important is to have a mid-morning snack, mid-afternoon snack, and bedtime snack. Do not skip meals or snacks to prevent the low dip of blood sugar.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages, especially on an empty stomach.
- Also avoid foods made with sugar and flour-pies, cakes, cookies, candies, sweets, and desserts.
- Make sure you consume at least 1200 calories per day, even if you are planning to lose weight.
- Also take recommended supplements that have direct adrenal and metabolic support. This will help cortisol and insulin balance as well.
- Snacks: nuts and fruits; cottage cheese and fruits; whole milk yogurt and berries; apple with almond butter; celery stick with cream cheese; celery stick with nut butter; refried beans; cream cheese and salmon/tuna on rye crisp.
- Breakfast samples: muesli with whole milk yogurt, nuts and green apples; poached egg on Ezekiel bread; smoothie-add avocado, coconut, whole milk yogurt, nuts and raw egg; vegetable omelet; cream cheese and salmon on whole grain bagel; cooked oatmeal with nuts and fruits.
- Therefore, listen to your body. Sometimes you may need to eat something every two hours, especially if you are doing mental activity or heavy physical work.
- Make sure you carry a water bottle around and keep well hydrated throughout the day because by the time you feel thirsty, you’re already dehydrated.
- Always carry a snack such as nuts with you wherever you go.
- Finally the hypoglycemia meal plan should avoid all food with a glycemic index of 60 or higher. Refined sugar and simple carbohydrates such as candies, dessert, white bread or soda only make you feel good for a short period. It is usually followed by a rebound and a low that is stressful on the body. In conclusion, please check out the Glycemic Index chart below for tips on a hypoglycemia meal plan.
Glycemic Index Table
|Here is a list of common food products and their actual GI values. These numbers use Glucose as a baseline, which is given a GI of 100. Therefore, all other values are relative to glucose.|
|Recommended for adrenal: GI <60 (Thus, avoid food with GI >60)||
|All Green Vegetables||0 – 30||Apple||39|
|All Bran||43||Bean Sprouts||OK||Apple Juice||41|
|Baked Beans, canned||68||Barley, pearled||25||Angel Hair||45||Bagel||72||Bran Chex||59||Beets||64||Apricots, dried||35|
|Black Beans||30||Buckwheat (kasha)||54||Bean Threads||26||French Bread||96||Cheerios||75||Carrots||71 – 92||Bananas, ripe||60|
|Black Eyed Peas||42||Bulgar||47||Gnocchi||67||Kaiser Roll||73||Corn Bran||75||Cauliflower||OK||Cantaloupe||65|
|Butter Beans||31||Couscous||65||Pastas, brown rice||92||Melba Toast||71||Corn Chex||83||Corn||58||Cherries||23|
|Chick Peas||33||Cornmeal||68||Pastas, refined||65||Pita Bread||58||Cornflakes||84||Eggplant||OK||Grapefruit||25|
|Chick Peas, canned||42||Millet||71||Pastas, whole grain||45||Pumpernickel Bread||49||Cream of Wheat||71||All onions||OK||Grapefruit Juice||49|
|Fava Beans||80||Rice, brown||56||Star Pastina||38||Rye Bread||64||Grapenuts||68||Parsnips||97||Grapes||46|
|Kidney Beans||30||Rice, instant||85 – 91||Vermicelli||35||Rye Bread, whole||50||Life||66||Peppers||OK||Kiwi||52|
|Kidney Beans, canned||52||Rice, white||70||
|Stuffing||75||Muesli||60||Potato, russet (baked)||90||Mango||56|
|Corn Chips||70||Tortilla, corn||70||Nutri Grain||66||Potato, instant mashed||83||Orange||42|
|Lentils, red||25||Graham Crackers||74||Fried Pork Rinds||OK||Waffles||76||Oat Bran||55||Potato, fresh mashed||73||Orange Juice||51|
|Lima, baby, frozen||32||Rice Cakes||77||Olives||OK||White Bread||95||Oatmeal, regular||53||Potato, new, boiled||57||Papaya||58|
|Pinto Beans||39||Rye Crispbread||67||Peanuts||10||Whole Wheat Bread||75||Oatmeal, quick||66||Potato, french fried||75||Peach||35|
|Soy Beans||18||Stoned Wheat Thins||68||Peanut M&M’s||32||
|Split Peas||32||Water Crackers||72||Popcorn||56||Ice Cream, regular||61||Puffed Rice||90||Sauerkraut||OK||Pineapple||66|
|Potato Chips||55||Ice Cream, low-fat||50||Rice Chex||89||Sweet Potato||54||Pineapple Juice||43|
|Pretzels||82||Milk, regular||27||Rice Krispies||82||Tomato||38||Plum||29|
|Rice Cakes||77||Milk, skim||32||Shredded Wheat||69||Water Chestnuts||OK||Raisins||64|
|Rich Tea Cookies||56||Yogurt, sugar||33||Special K||54||Yams||51||Strawberries||32|
|Vanilla Wafers||77||Yogurt, aspartame||14||Total||76||Yellow Squash||OK||Watermelon||74|
© Copyright 2013 Michael Lam, M.D. All Rights Reserved.
After seeing many doctors and getting worse for over 16 years. I discovered your website education and books, my health is now being restored. I pray good health and long life to you.