Jump on the Sushi Evolution Bandwagon with a Turmeric Avocado Sushi Roll Recipe
Sushi has evolved tremendously since its Chinese origins in the second century AD. From being a way of preserving fish to one of the world?s most popular dishes, sushi is popping up all over the place. Originally targeted for raw fish lovers, sushi is now found in an assortment of flavors and styles to meet every palate. With the flexibility that sushi offers, people have the ability to fuse their favorite ingredients into a rice roll and enjoy all the health benefits and flavors they have to offer. One of our favorite recipes to date is the turmeric avocado sushi roll. With its inclusion of a turmeric-infused brown rice, accents of yellow bell pepper, avocado, tamari, ginger and citrus, this delicious sushi roll is a definite recipe to try even for novice sushi rollers.
Sushi Making Tips
To make your turmeric avocado sushi roll experience even greater, we?ve gathered some tips to help you. It?s kind of like making your own pizza, but with a healthier twist. There are a few basics you?ll want to know, but please feel free to improvise the rest and get creative!
- You may want to use a sushi-rolling mat to help with the roll, but it is not necessary. Many people like to use the bamboo mat to perfect the shape of the roll to create a rounded vs finger-molded circle. You can find a sushi mat at almost any oriental market, or order them online.
- You can choose the seaweed of your preference. Most health food stores carry a variety of wraps, but the most commonly used is the nori wrap.
- Your best bet is to let the roll sit for at least two minutes before attempting to slice it. This gives the roll time to settle and mold into place.
- Using a sharp knife will make cutting your role much easier, neater and cleaner. Seaweed can be a bit chewy and tough to slice. Some brands have perforations on their knives to help with this process.
- Most importantly, have fun! There is no right or wrong way to make your sushi wrap. Both traditional and fusion styles have taken over, and the sushi roll is forever evolving.
The Amazing Benefits of the Turmeric Avocado Sushi Roll You?ll Want to Know About
In this turmeric avocado sushi roll recipe, we have gathered some amazing superfood ingredients that offer health benefits in every bite. We recommend buying organic whenever possible to avoid any harmful chemicals, additives and food colorings. Organic food has been shown to include more nutrients, always a plus when it comes to your wellness.
Seaweed. As one of the greatest plant food sources available on both land and sea, seaweed?s nutrient profile is extremely impressive. It contains a lot of essential nutrients such as vitamins A, B, C, E and K, magnesium, calcium, copper, potassium, selenium, zinc, iodine, and iron. It is also an abundant source of antioxidants, phytonutrients, fiber, and omega-3s.
Rice. Rice is increasingly used as a protein and gluten-free source. It has the ability to provide instant energy, aid in consistent bowel movements, regulate blood sugar levels, and help in longevity. It is also a great source of vitamin B1. When choosing rice, always avoid the white, bleached and processed brands, and instead turn to a brown or jasmine type.
Turmeric. As one of the main ingredients in the Turmeric Avocado Sushi Roll, this is one spice that really packs a punch when it comes to health benefits. One of the main spices in all Indian cooking, it?s considered possibly the most powerful herb on the planet, as is shown in many studies. One such study found turmeric had the ability to break through chemoresistance and aid in the treatment of pancreatic cancer. Another study gave credit to turmeric for delaying the onset of diabetes due to its high anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
Tamari. Tamari is considered the original soy sauce. It is a bit thicker, richer in color and flavor, and contains little to no wheat. Unlike its soy cousin, it is extremely low in sodium and can be used in place of salt in many recipes. This ingredient contains iron, sodium, calcium, and protein.
Avocado. The good type of fat! Some of the great health benefits of the avocado include weight control, minimizing the risks of cardiovascular diseases, cancers, diabetes, treating osteoarthritis, and increasing the absorption of nutrients in the body. It’s a great source of vitamin K for those dealing with deficiency-related blood problems, as well as antioxidants.
Ginger. Ginger has been used for centuries in the treatment of everything from cancer to migraines. It helps alleviate nausea and morning sickness in pregnant women, is used to treat and prevent colds and flu, is a natural heartburn remedy in tea form, and is great for helping eliminate inflammation. It is a great spice to add to foods for those suffering from inflammatory ailments such as Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome (AFS).
Cayenne. Referred to as the prince of herbs, Cayenne pepper has a long list of health benefits. Some of the most unknown include controlling allergic reactions and curing heartburn, headaches, and colds. It is also used in relieving toothache, reducing fever and migraines, and preventing blood clots. Although an appetite stimulant, it can also aid in weight loss.
Pumpkin seeds. A quarter cup of pumpkin seeds contains nearly half of the recommended daily amount of magnesium. How important is magnesium in our diets? Extremely! Magnesium creates ATP, the molecule responsible for producing energy. If you have been diagnosed with AFS, it is important to get enough magnesium because a lack of energy is common. Pumpkin seeds also provide the tools to help the pumping of the heart, blood vessel health, and regular bowel movements. Pumpkin seeds are a great source of plant-based omega 3s and a super protein source.
As you can see, the ingredient list for the turmeric avocado sushi roll is not only delicious but powerful in nature. So, let?s start rolling!
- 1/4 tsp tamari
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 2 seaweed wraps
- 1/2 avocado thinly sliced
- 8-10 strips of thinly chopped bell pepper
- 2 tsp orange juice
- pinch of grated ginger
- pinch of finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- pinch of cayenne
- 2 tsp pumpkin seeds
- Orange Slices
- Combine Ingredients A in a small bowl until the rice is bright orange.
- Put Ingredients B into separate containers. Place one seaweed wrap flat on your mat or a flat clean plate and spread half of the rice mixture over about two-thirds of the surface.
- Add half of the avocado slices and half of the bell pepper slices onto the rice.
- Drizzle one teaspoon of orange juice over the top.
- Next, add the ginger, parsley and cayenne spices.
- Tightly roll the seaweed into a burrito shape with open ends.
- Slice roll into one-inch thick sections and lay them on their sides.
- Sprinkle the pumpkin seeds on top.
- Repeat the above for the second roll.
For a beautiful presentation, serve with a few orange slices on the side. Wasabi will give you that authentic sushi flare and add a kick if your taste buds like spicy!
Servings: 2 Rolls
Time to make: 30 mins.
Vegan, Dairy and Gluten-Free
Although one of the best things a person can do for their health is to eat a healthy diet of whole, clean foods such as the turmeric avocado sushi roll, it is also important to ensure that the food you eat is complementary to your body?s system. As with any new recipe or food product, it is very important to remember to thoroughly research every ingredient to ensure it is suitable for you. Those who suffer from conditions such as AFS are often extremely sensitive to food and must take caution when trying new products and recipes. Additionally, some herbs and spices can be potent and toxic in large doses and should not be taken in capsule form or when pregnant and nursing. Always check with your primary care physician or nutritionist before starting any new dietary regimens or if you have any questions.
© Copyright 2018 Michael Lam, M.D. All Rights Reserved.
Dr. Lam’s Key Question
Is there raw fish in the turmeric avocado sushi roll?
That is a very popular question, as many people believe all sushi must contain raw fish. No, there are no traces of any raw fish in the turmeric avocado sushi roll recipe. In fact, it is vegan, dairy, and gluten-free.