Garlic Vegetable Broth
Ingredients for Vegetable Broth:
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 large stalk celery, chopped
- 3 whole clove garlic
- 2 tbsp cold pressed coconut oil or butter
- 1/3 cup white mushroom - cut in quarter
- 1/2 tbsp whole black peppercorns
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 3 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 8 cups water
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil or butter in a large stockpot over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the onion, carrot, garlic and celery and cook until the vegetables turn brown. About 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, peppercorn, thyme, and bay leaf. Stir for 2 minutes.
- Add the water, cover, bring to a boil. Skim and discard any foam from the surface. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 2 hours.
- Add salt to taste.
- Remove from heat and strain through a fine-mesh strainer.
- Use six cups for the immune broth recipe below, the rest save in small glass jar for use with gravy or stock for cooking other food. Can store in refrigerator for 3 days, 1 month in freezer.
Ingredients for Garlic Vegetable Broth:
- 6 cups of vegetable broth prepared from above recipe
- 1 1/2 tbsp coconut oil or butter
- 1 head garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs or 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp dried sage
- salt to taste
- Combine all ingredients together in a large stock pot.
- Cover pot.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add salt to taste.
- Drink 2 cups a day at mid morning and mid afternoon to boost immune system.
- Rotate the use of these recipes for better benefit to the body. This recipe can be rotated with other broth recipes such as the garbanzo broth. Ideally, the broth should be made fresh daily in the morning. Another option is to double the recipe and make a large batch. Then freeze it in 2 cup portions or the amount indicated in your protocol, so you can easily pull one out and warm it up on the stove.
- Drink warm to hot as tolerated, one cup each time. Best time to drink is mid morning and mid afternoon.
- Do not reheat in microwave. Reheat on the stove top.
- Each recipe makes 3-5 cups. The longer you boil it, the less liquid will remain.
© 2018 Michael Lam, M.D. All Rights Reserved.